Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Some of the best running advice I have ever gotten...

My Teammates
During a TEAM training run a few Saturday morning ago, I was having a tough time.  It was SO hot, the hottest weather I had ever run in.  It was humid, sunny, and I was miserable.  I was running at the back of the pack when a nice older man started running beside me.  He knew I was a runDisney lover, so he asked me about my past and future runDisney events.  He told me he ran Goofy a few years ago.  I told him that was my goal for 2014, but I was scared I would never be ready for a full marathon.   


Right then, during a very tough ran, my teammate gave me the most funny but most true running advice I had ever heard.  He said to me "running is 75% metal, half physical".  We laughed about the advice together, but boy was it true.  The accountant in me almost could not accept the statement, but I really understand what he was saying.

During that super hot run, my physical wanted to give up!  I was really hurting--hot, tired, thirsty....my body was done.  But, I did not quite.  I put in my 6 miles that day because I let the mental 75% overrule the half physical part.  I am so thankful that I got this piece of advice.  When my runs have been getting tough lately, I tell myself the 75% physical is stronger than the half physical.  Thinking about the cute little statement also takes my mind of the discomfort.

What do you think about this cute little piece of running advice?  What is the best running advice you have ever gotten?  How did it change you?

A dream is a wish...

--Amy


5 comments:

  1. If my physical (shin splints) could catch up to where I mentally want to be, I would be good! lol. I do love his advice.

    and know this- you ran further that day, than I have ever run at once. And I think youre a rock star- full marathon or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Megan! I think you are a rock star too!

      Delete
  2. I love that advice, its very true! I think you could do Goofy in 2014! That is actually on my schedule too! :) I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See you there! I am scared, but we can do it!

      Delete
  3. That is so true - rarely am I ever stopping because my body is not working - but because I am lazy and telling myself I need to stop. Great words to remember that we need to keep our mental attitude up!

    ReplyDelete