Thursday, September 13, 2012

Welcome Fall 5k to benefit the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society

Hello friends!

Kids Fun Run Medal

I wanted to take time out of all my fun reporting about the Disneyland Half Marathon to tell you about a project I am working on.  As you know, I have been training with the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society’s Team in Training.  I will run the Nike Half Marathon on October 14th.  I will be running for a reason much more important than the personal challenge of completing a Half Marathon.  As a member of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Team In Training program, I have pledged to train on the behalf of all the affected children and their families to help raise money for leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease and myeloma research and patient assistance programs
As you may or may not know, leukemia is the #1 disease killer of children and the leading fatal malignant disease of men and women under the age of 35.  Although the cause of leukemia remains unknown, recently developed treatments and steady advances in research bring us closer to a cure every day.  These research advances were only achieved as a result of contributions made by companies, foundations and individuals like you. 
Welcome Fall 5k Medal
My goal is to raise $3000 by October 1st. To do this, I will need to register at least 50 people.  If you would like to help, please consider registering for my virtual 5k.  For the 5k, anytime from now until the end of September, run, walk, skip or crawl the distance—BLING included!  As a thank you for registering, I will send you a finisher medal. Brand new for this run, I have added a kids fun run option!  If you register, your child can too at a discounted rate.  The children's race distance is at your discretion.  You know your child best.  You both will get a medal!  I have added a few new options this time:
Donate $20+ and you will receive a Welcome Fall 5k medal. 
Donate $25+ and your medal will be personalized with your name and/or finish time. 
Donate $30+ will enter you and your child into the 5k.  You will receive your medal and your child will get a special medal just for them! 
Donate $35+ to register you and your child.  You will both get a medal personalized with your name and/0r finish time. 
Register for:


To register, use the button above.  If you want to register and do not have Paypal, you can always donate directly to my LLS page on the upper right of this page.

Please consider registering and helping me reach my goal.  With the generosity of people like you, there is every reason to believe that a cure for blood-related cancers is in sight!

A dream is a wish...

--Amy

7 comments:

  1. What a great idea!!! I will sign up! I'm a Team in Training participant too, and I am doing the Philly Half in November. This is my 6th or 7th season training with the team! My page is: http://pages.teamintraining.org/epa/phil12/eparks4232

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy, I found you on the fifty states page and I signed up for myself and my daughter. I run very regularly so I can do the 5K at any time. How do we get instructions to submit our names and results?

    Good Luck with your fundraising!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much Patricia! You can e-mail me at amysmith7@comcast with your time and what you want engraved on your medal. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thinking of signing up my family for this and have our own little 5k event this weekend. I love this idea! (I see the deadline is September so I will register by Friday). If I want the engraved option can I put something like just our family last name with the 5K event? For example "XXX family 5K fun run weekend" or something of that nature?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can engrave what ever you want--up to 40 characters. Thanks Mandy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ran my 5K on Tuesday! 3.1 miles in 36 minutes!!! NOT my best run, but since I've taken a week off b/c of some personal reasons and hadn't really eaten for 4 days (so had little strength!) I think I did well!!! Thank you Amy for putting this together!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no! I did not read this carefully when it came up on my search for virtual 5ks for LLS! My daughter is a two time survivor and we will run then5k tomorrow even though this blog post is a year old. If you could kindly forward our donation to LLS or return it so we can donate it I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks so much for what you did! Now to explain to my daughter how I screwed up her first medal! Lol!

    ReplyDelete