The Dumbo Double Dare is a two part runDisney challenge. It consists of the Disneyland 10k on Saturday morning, followed the Disneyland Half Marathon on Sunday morning. I like to consider it a mini version of the of the Goofy Challenge held in Walt Disney World. (Goofy is a half marathon one day, followed by a full marathon the next day.) The DDD sold out in a matter of hours, but I knew getting into the race would be the easy part. I had done ten half marathon before the DDD, but a back to back race like this one was a whole different animal.
Luckily for us runDisney lovers, Jeff Galloway put together a great training plan. Most weeks, you walk a
long walk on Saturday, and then do a long run on Sunday. I found the training plan to work very well. Besides to follow the training plan and all other tips that go with running a half marathon, I have a few tips that are specific to the DDD:
- Get lots of rest Thursday night. If you are like most runners, you will not sleep well the night before the races.
- Take Friday easy. Go to the expo and then relax at the pool. Your body needs the rest.
- Carb load Friday and Saturday. Your body needs to build up and then rebuild up those glycogen stores.
- Start hydrating on Thursday (or before), and then never stop! Carry a water bottle with you and keep filling it up. Doing two back to back races makes it even more important that you are hydrated.
- Don't push yourself to hard the at the first race. You have an even longer race to do tomorrow.
- After the first race, again, take it easy. I know, there are two Disney theme parks waiting for you--how can you take it easy? How about a compromise--just a few hours in the parks and then you take it easy?
- Eat a bland, well balanced diet on Friday and Saturday--nothing that will upset the tummy before your big races.
- ENJOY YOURSELF! You are in Disneyland!
Do you have any other tips I should add to this list?
A dream is a wish...