Tuesday, December 6, 2011

My First Running Injury

I don’t know if this is something to complain about or something to brag about, but it seems I have my very first running injury.  Apparently, I have an injury to my Patellair Ligament—a ligament just south of the knee.   
My daughter sees a physical therapist a few times a week. The physical therapist, Mary, was nice enough to look at my knee for me.  She told me it is a very common injury to runners, probably caused by coming to abrupt stop.  That makes sense to me because the Turkey Trot was a very crowded course and I did a lot of bobbing and weaving with many instant stops.  Mary told me that since this is a small, thin ligament it does not get much blood flow.  Not getting much blood flow means it will heal slowly.  She suggested Aleve and rest.   
The Aleve feels like it is working. The rest part is going to be difficult for me.  Last week, my family visited Walt Disney World.  We had a great time, but as you know, you walk all day long at Walt Disney World.  Now that I am home, I plan to take this whole week off from running.  I am hoping to heal enough to get back on my Jeff Galloway Disney Princess Half Training plan on Monday.  If it takes more than a week to heal, I will take all the time my body needs to heal.  I will not let this temporary injury become permanent. 
What types of running injuries have you sustained?  How long were you on the side line? 
A dream is a wish…
--Amy

4 comments:

  1. I pulled my hamstring after the Baltimore Running Festival Marathon Relay in 2010. I was off from then til the first week in December (about 6 weeks). You'll get past this. Rest up. You've had such good training to date that you won't lose it all if you're off your feet for a week or two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed three weeks of the plan due to illness but I picked up with the long run as the schedule said and I was able to make it. I took it slow but I finished the mileage and felt good after. If you need to take a little more time, you should be fine. Just ease back in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had shin splints, weak ankles, and a knee condition I was born with (thus constantly battling)... eventually the injuries will heal and I'm sure you'll be able to get back onto the Galloway plan soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last winter I had foot problems- swelling in and around the bones in my left foot. It took a lot of rest and ice to make it completely go away. This year I have (I found out yesterday after going to the Dr after a month) that I have a strained abductor muscle. I start PT on Monday and hopefully will be back running in a few weeks. I plan on doing EVERYTHING the PT says as I want to get back to running NOW!!! I hope you are back to running in a week! If it hurts while running, make sure you STOP! and walk the rest of the way back :) and get back on the ice and aleve

    ReplyDelete