Monday, September 17, 2012

Philly Rock 'n Roll Half Marathon 2012

On Sunday, I ran in the Philly Rock 'n Roll Half Marathon.  It was a great races and I am so glad I decided at the last minute to do it.  I don't have the best memories of Philly.  My daughter spent a lot of time in Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.  We did not have the best experience there, so my memories of Philly are very tough to think about.  Honestly, I was very reluctant to every go back there again.  I am very lucky that I have some amazing friends who talked me into making some good memories in Philly.

My runDisney buddy, Chelsea, offered me to stay with her for the night.  She had a room with the Team in Training group from Texas.  It was so weird going to a race that started at 8 am.  I am so used to Disney races where you have to be at the start by 4 am.  We are usually done by 8 am.

We walked to the start where I meet my local friends Michelle, Lish and her momma.  We did the usually pre-race potty visit, bag check, then headed to the start.  One thing I really like about RnR races is that they use many, many small corrals.  I believe for this race in Philly there were 20+ corrals, each with around a thousand runners.  They let off a new corral about every two minutes.  This greatly allieviates the start line bottleneck. I started in corral 17.  Each corral got their own "Ready, Set, Go!"

I think this race had the most spectators I had every experienced.  Maybe not most in total number, but for sure most spectators in the area they covered.  At the other races I have been in, spectators were very concentrated in major areas, like the Magic Kingdom in Walt Disney World.  In Philly, there were spectators  for the entire first five miles, like a parade.

The first five miles of the race were in historic Philadelphia.  We passed all the historic places--the Liberty Bell, Constitution Hall etc.  Then four miles up the Schuylkill River, over the bridge and back to the finish line.  Running by the river, I saw something very strange to me.  The road we were running on was at the bottom of a 3-4 story cliff.  On top of the cliff was a huge cemetery.  It seemed so out of place to me.  The run along the river was very pretty.  The race ended on a huge up hill right in front of the Rocky steps--classic Philly.

This was a good race.  Thanks to my friends for convincing me I should do it!

A dream is a wish...

--Amy

7 comments:

  1. Told ya Philly is a good city to run in. :-) Sounds like a good part meshed with the Philly Marathon/Half Marathon done in November. Loved the Old City part of the race. Neat to run by all the historic stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun run!!! I am doing a rock n roll half in St. Louis next month and I keep hearing about how much fun the races are. All I know is I hope I finish in 4 hours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The RnR races I have done have been awesome! Have a great time and tell me how you like it!

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you enjoyed the race! I know a coule people who did it as well. Sorry your experiences at CHOP weren't so good. Hopefully the half will have brought some positive memories of Philly!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you had such a great time running this race!

    ReplyDelete