Monday, January 23, 2012

Are You Mentally Prepared for the Race?


I just wanted to say thank you for all the support and kind words you have given me and each other after my post yesterday.  The reason I started this blog one year ago was in hopes that I would meet some wonderful ladies like you all.  I would never have made it without each and every one of you helping me out and cheering me on. 

The self-doubt seems to be affecting everyone.  After I posted yesterday’s post, I got so many emails and Facebook messages from other new and experienced runners telling me about their doubts.  Doubts of not finishing, of being swept, doubts of not getting a PR.  No one is immune.  Please know that it is natural to have doubts.  It is part of being a distance runner.  There is a limit of how far out bodies can take us.  The rest is mental. 

We have reached the point in our training that our bodies are ready to race.  Now we must train our brains.  We must train our heads to believe in our bodies.  Instead of “can I do this?” tell yourself “I will do this.”  Will it be hard?  Yes.  Will it be worth it? Absolutely! 

What do you do to prepare yourself mentally for this race?

A dream is a wish…

--Amy

***There are still lots of Tiara Bondi Bands available.  All proceeds go to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.  

4 comments:

  1. Great post! And, you are SO right- once you've trained your body, you have to train your brain. I find that if Iget myelf amped up and excited about running, then I run faster and longer. But, if I go into the run feeling tired, worried and bogged down, then that's how I run.

    Stay positive!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post!! I don't know if I'll ever be mentally ready!! Oh- and you've been tagged! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are going to do great! In my opinion running is just as much mental as it is physical. If you've put in the work then you have to keep telling yourself that you ARE doing this and you WILL run this race!

    I have all the faith in the world in you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you ladies agree with me on this one. Confidence has always been one of my problems, but I am determined to over come it. See you all at the finish line!

    ReplyDelete