Saturday, March 24, 2012

In memory of someone very special to me…

As you know, I held a virtual 5k last weekend. I want to report that it was a huge success. Together, we raised over $900 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society’s Team in Training. I am so touched and thankful for all the support you have shown me. I can never express how much it truly means to me. Several people have asked me if I have extra medals to sell. Sadly, I do not. Since the event was such a success and so many more people want medals, I decided to hold another virtual 5k!

I originally joined Team in Training because of a very special little girl, Kaitlyn Kay Bourgeault. While Kaitlyn was not affected by Leukemia, she did have a terminal illness. Kaitlyn was diagnosed with a very rare and fatal disease called Niemann-Pick, type A. I am sorry to report that on Thursday March 22, sweet beautiful little Kaitlyn lost her battle at the age of two years, eight months. Over the past year or so, I got very attached to Kaitlyn and her family. I love this little girl like family. Her death hit me very hard, but I consider myself lucky to know her. Her spirit was like no other.  She and her family taught me so much. They showed me that every day we have our family is a gift and to appreciate it. They also taught me to trust in God’s plan. Every time I see a big, pretty hair bow, I will think of my beautify angle Kaitlyn.

While there was nothing I can do to help Kaitlyn, I can help other families to not suffer the loss the Bourgeault family has experienced. Knowing that leukemia is the number one disease killer in children, I joined Team in Training. I will be dedicating my run in my virtual 5k in memory of Kaitlyn. If you would like to be part of the “Run Like a Fool Virtual 5k”, please click her to register. For the virtual 5k, you run or walk where ever you want, whenever you want from now to April 8th. As a thank you for registering, I will send you some BLING! Everyone who registers will get a finishers medal. If you live locally, I am planning to get together at the Red Lion High School track in the afternoon of Sunday April 1st. Please share the race with your friends!

A dream is a wish…

--Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment