Monday, March 5, 2012

Lucky Leprechaun Virtual 5k


Dear Friends,

I wanted to take time out of all my fun reporting about the Disney Princess Half Marathon to tell you about a project I am working on.  As you know, I have been training with the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society’s Team in Training.  I will run the San Diego Rock and Roll Half Marathon on June third.  I will be running for a reason much more important than the personal challenge of completing a Half Marathon.  As a member of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Team In Training program, I have pledged to train on the behalf of all the affected children and their families to help raise money for leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease and myeloma research and patient assistance programs
As you may or may not know, leukemia is the #1 disease killer of children and the leading fatal malignant disease of men and women under the age of 35.  Although the cause of leukemia remains unknown, recently developed treatments and steady advances in research bring us closer to a cure every day.  These research advances were only achieved as a result of contributions made by companies, foundations and individuals.
My goal is to raise $2900 by April 1st. If you would like to help, please consider registering for my virtual 5k.  For the 5k, anytime on St. Patrick’s Day weekend, run, walk, skip or crawl the distance—BLING included!  As a thank you for registering, I will send you a finisher medal.  I am also doing a drawing for a heart rate monitor watch from all who register.  Please consider registering and helping me reach my goal.  With the generosity of people like you, there is every reason to believe that a cure for blood-related cancers is in sight!
A dream is a wish…
--Amy
To register, click here!  http://ll5k.bbnow.org/donate.php

5 comments:

  1. As you know from previous post, I lost my mother to acute myloid leukemia two years ago. A universally fatal disease for those over 70. Thanks in part to the money raised by TNT there have been advances in treatments for many of the blood cancers that have resulted in higher survival rates. (Unfortunately, not my mother's - yet). I am planning to cut and paste the blog post with a note to all my (running) friends. I encourage all my 'cyber' Princess friends to do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Sue! I really appreciate your support. My grandmother had Leukemia. She recently passes away.

    It was great to see you at the race! One of the highlights for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, I have a half on 3/18 and I won't run the day before. Would it be possible for me to still sign up and dedicate the last 3.1 of my half to this race?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is totally fine! I opened up the running window from 3/10-18 to better accommodate everyone's busy schedules.

      Delete
  4. Hi Amy,
    Would you be interested in hosting an online Scentsy party fundraiser to go towards your Team in Training Goal? I would donate 100% of my commissions to your fundraiser. Feel free to check out my website and email me if you're interested. http://pattykonis.scentsy.us

    ReplyDelete