Tuesday, April 2, 2013

New runDisney Corral Placement Requirments

runDisney has released new proof of time guidelines that go into effect for the 2014 racing season.  Check them out below. 

There has been lots of opinions about this today in the blog world and all over Facebook.  Some love the change, some hate it.  I, for one, welcome the change.  At all of the runDisney events, people complain about slow people in the corrals ahead of them.  People complain about runners "lying" about their expected finish time, to get in an earlier corral.  Maybe some do.  I would not accuse anyone of doing this, but I am not saying it does not happen either.  This new method keeps everything a little more official.  Now you have to show proof of a time under 3:15 for a half.  The one group this could adversely effect is first timers.  If you are a first timer, you may be much faster than 3:15, but with no time to show you will be in the last corral.  That is really the only down side of this new announcement I see.  

What do you think of this new announcement?  How will it effect you?  

A dream is a wish...

--Amy 




If you believe you will finish the Half Marathon in less than 3:15 hours or the Marathon in less than 6:30 hours, proof of time is required for start corral placement. Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge and Dopey Challenge participants should adhere to Full Marathon proof of time requirements. Please reference the Race Pacing Chart below for finish times and associated pacing per mile.

 A Proof of time must be provided from a certified race reflecting results after January 1, 2012.

 Half Marathon - 10K or longer
 Full Marathon - 10 Miles or longer

 A valid proof of time provided at the time of registration must include the following*:

 Name of Race
 Distance
 City
 State
 Date
 Finish time

 *For example, Walt Disney World Marathon, 26.2, Orlando, FL, 1/13/13, - 3:35

 If you do not have a proof of time to submit, list "N/A" at the point of registration. If proof of time is not provided by November 1, 2013 you will be placed in the last start corral. If your proof of time data is incomplete or cannot be verified, you will be placed in the last start corral. To provide or update your proof of time, you must email all proof of time data requested above to disneysports@trackshack.com. No corral changes will be made after November 1, 2013.

 As a reminder, you will no longer be able to bring proof of your estimated finish time to the Runner Relations booth during the Expo and have your start corral placement changed.

4 comments:

  1. Welcome it! I'm a new runner but I will have a 10K to submit for my half. I guess it wouldn't be great for a runner that doesn't have a 10K under their belt, but maybe this will get people training more, which can only be a good thing! It seems like Disney is trying to address the corral issues they are having. I think this will really help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have proof of time as I am doing my first 10k here in 3 weeks, but the Disney Princess Half Marathon 2014 will be my first 1/2 and I want my husband to be in the same corral as me to run together, and he won't have a 10k under his belt before then. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's a good idea! For new runners or runners who are participating in their first marathon, being put in one of the first few corrals could be intimidating. At the same time, it encourages people to participate in other races before the "big" ones.
    I like that Disney is addressing a variety of different logistical issues to make the races as magical as possible :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's a good idea but it does suck for first timers like me. I was planning on using my 15K time to change my corral placement at the expo and now I can't do that (and the 15K is after the cut off time). I'm going to have to find a 10K or longer to run before November now.

    ReplyDelete