Tuesday, August 2, 2011

What do you eat?

The other day, a friend I and were discussing losing weight and our training plans.  I was telling her that I have lost about 30 pounds since the beginning of the year.  She told me she had not lost much and then said “Amy, what do you eat?” 
That got me thinking.  Am I eating the right things to lose weight, but also eating enough to have energy to train and recover properly?   I looked over my food journal and discovered some very interesting thing. It seems I eat mostly the same things every day.  I am not sure if this is good or bad, but I am very much a creature of habit.  I like having things planned out.  This is what I repeatedly found in my food journal:
Brown rice
Fresh veggie
Luna Bars
Fresh Fruit
I eat a packet of oatmeal every morning, usually the sugar free kind.  I tend to eat smaller meals throughout the day, so having quick, healthy snacks is very important.  For snacks my go to’s are yogurt, almonds, fresh fruit, Luna Bars, and Shakeology.  Right now, I am really hooked on Chobani Greek yogurt.  I love how thick and creamy it is.  The 100 calorie packs of almonds are also super convenient.  It is very easy to over eat nuts, but the 100 calorie packs prevent that.  We always have fresh fruit at my house, usually apples, bananas and whatever is on sale that week. The fiber is fresh fruit is filling, while the sweetness is satisfying.  Luna Bars are also a great option.  They make you feel like you are cheating, but with about 180 you can’t go wrong.  My new favorite is Shakeology!  I drink it almost every day when I get home from the gym.  It has protein for muscle recovery, plus it has a whole days’ worth of vitamins, so no need to take a multivitamin.  The best part is that is tastes like a Hershey’s chocolate milkshake.
 For lunch and dinner, my go to’s are usually salad with chicken or a stir-fry.  I love to just through a lot of ingredients, whatever I have in my fridge, into a pan and see how it turns out.  I usually start with chicken or shrimp and then choose a sauce.  My favorites are teriyaki or Italian dressing.  I let the chicken or shrimp cook, and then add my fresh veggies.  Some of my favorites are broccoli, carrots, snap peas and squash.   I usually add a bit more sauce with the veggies.  I cook in chicken broth to add a bit of flavor and usually add some garlic.  To finish up, I sometimes I add some brown rice.  Everyone in the family loves my stir-fries and I love that it is healthy for everyone. 
What do you think of my list?  What do you eat?  Do you have any pointer on how to eat better? 
A dream is a wish….

Don’t forget to enter my Luna Bar giveaway!


  1. You have a great list of foods that you eat. Do you ever eat any other meat other than chicken like steak or hamburgers or ground turkey? What about snacks or desserts? Do you just stay away from them all together. The stir fry sounds great and easy-just my style.

  2. Kelly,

    I don't really eat much red meat. No reason, I just have never cared much for it. During the week--yogurt, almonds, Luna bars and fruit are my main snacks. I do sneak in dark chocolate quite often. I slack off on the weekends...we go out to eat sometimes and I get what ever I want, and even dessert sometimes. I figure if I do well 80% of the time, the other 20% won't hurt to much.

  3. Everything you eat looks really healthy! I LOVE chobani! It has so much protein

  4. What you have written down is awesome! Whole grains, natural foods, fruits and veggies- PERFECT! Along with that, I'm sure you're watching quantity as well! Did you look at your friends journal? I eat a lot of the same stuff that you have listed, except coffee and almond milk would be on there and Clif Mojo bars instead of Luna (though I like Lemon Zest!!). Cutting out junk and getting off my butt (like you are doing) helped me lose 60 pounds over the course of a year. You're on the right track, stay on it forever! I've been going for almost three years (3 years this September since I started the new diet).