Thursday, May 10, 2012

Race Nutrition

I have two half marathons coming up in the next three weeks (Diva Half in Myrtle Beach and the San Diego Rock and Roll).  Race nutrition has been on my mind.

During my first half marathon, the Disney Princess, I did not take any during race nutrition with me.  I ate a bagel and banana before, but nothing during.  There was a Clif Shot station at mile nine, but gels are just not for me.  Although I do enjoy the taste of some of them, I can't take the texture--especially while running.  By mile ten, my stomach was growling.  I really could have used some nutrition, but still have not found anything that I like.

I came across this article on active.com while I was trying to find alternatives to the usual gels.  I love that some of the options are all natural stuff I can buy right in my local grocery store.  Dates and dried fruit are now on my shopping list.  I plan to try a "race trail mix".  The idea of watermelon would be so refreshing along the course, but it is totally impractical in my opinion.  I don't know how you would carry it.  One person that commented on the article said she has her husband meet her at specific spots on the course so she did not have to carry her nutrition with her.   She suggested potato chips as the perfect mid race nutrition.  At first, this seemed strange to me, but it makes perfect sense--potato chips have carbs and lots of salt.

The article also has a recipe for home made energy gel.  The recipe looks very easy to make with just a few ingredients.  If I figure out a way to carry it during the race, I will give it a try.   I think I could down this one while running.  I love all of these new options.  They just may replace my good old pop tarts.

What is your favorite race nutrition?  Do you do anything unusual?

A dream is a wish...

--Amy

9 comments:

  1. I am not always a fan of eating while running, but for me during a half marathon it is an important aspect to me finishing my race strong. I always manage to squeeze into my tiny pocket a Squeezable Applesauce. They are portable enough and don't require a spoon. I really like the brand GoGoSqueeze! I recommend checking them out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like Sharkies and GU Chomps. I only had 2 individual gummies during my first half - but I will be sure to eat a full pack during my next half. I like to have one gummy per mile kind of thing, that way it is not too much at once!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use sports beans generally during a run/race. I have used dried cherries or blueberries before a run. I'm pretty scared of pre-race/run food because my stomach gets upset easily. I have also started eating a slice of bread with peanut butter before a run. But, during a run I've stayed mostly to sports beans. So far so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never run a marathon but I read on someone's blog that they take a bag of frozen grapes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am starting to wonder what I will take with me and the whole salt pills/pellets scare me...lol, will have to research and see what is being done by other runners...eek!
    Suzanne...great idea about the frozen grapes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. GU chomps are my go-to fuel for half marathons. I just can't handle the consistency of the gels.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not a fan of the Gu shots either, but I have found that the citrusy ones go down easier than chocolate which is too heavy and a consistency that makes my stomach lurch. I love Gu Chomps which I take @every 4 miles. At Galloway's Disney Princess appearance he mentioned pure sugar, can't remember the calorie formula, but it worked out to @9 half hour before race time and then 4-5 every 30 minutes of running. My son and I tried that, it seemed to work well, nothing too heavy our pure sugar of choice was Gummy Lifesavers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like Gu Chomps and Sports Beans - particularly the berry flavors (cherry is not yummy). I don't really "walk" in half marathons but around the 8 or 9-mile water mark, I eat one pack of those and x2 waters (hence the 8-9 mile mark..where usually they have water and gu together). They are supposed to support you for one hour of exercise, and serving size is basically one pack/100 calories. It takes me about 1 minute to walk, eat, and re-hydrate. I think that the sugaryness makes me extra thirsty, which is why I do 2 waters - one because Gu Chomps say to eat with water, and the other to be extra sure I'm not tasting the berry for the net 1-2 miles before the next/last water station. The half marathons when I have NOT eaten, I feel so sluggish at 10 and don't tend to get my mind back into it until mile 12. It may all be a giant mind game, but after eating at 8ish, I feel great until the end. Another suggestion if you don't like these gummy sensations: peanut butter pretzels. My friend takes the little pretzel nubs and dips them in peanut butter, puts them in a tiny snack bag inside her spybelt and eats them as needed. To me, that would make me even more thirstY! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you everyone for the great recommendations. I tried dried fruit on my last run. It too upset my stomach. I guess I will have to keep looking....If I am every going to run a full, I have to figure this out!

    ReplyDelete