Thursday, October 18, 2012

Nike Women's Marathon Expotique

This past weekend, I had the privileged of participating in the Nike Women's Half Marathon with my Team in Training team.  From talking to teammates who had done the event in the past, and from reading the NWM Facebook page, I knew the "Expotique" as they call it would be different from any other race expo I had ever been to, but this time I was pleasantly surprised.

When I first arrived at the expo, I went right up to the packet pickup table and got my packet. The first thing I noticed there was no shirt in my packet.  This is because at the NWM, only finishers get a shirt.  I love this idea!  Also inside my packet was a very cool neon yellow reusable Nike draw string back pack, some snack samples, a Neutorgena sunscreen, some tissues, a coconut water and some flyers.  Not bad!

After I got my packet, I entered the Expotique.  It did not look like a normal race expo.  The Expotique was in a huge, white tent is Union Square of San Francisco.  The booths were circled around the perimeter of the tent.  There were very little for sale at this expo.  Most of what was going on was free!  Nuun and Yurbuds were selling their stuff, but if you wanted NWM themed merchandise, you have to go to Niketown across the street.  It was so much fun shopping and having fun without the pressure to buy.  Safeway was giving out super cute NWM logo plastic one cup size containers that participants could fill with their favorite trail mixes.

My hair do! 
Since this was a women focused event, they had lots of pampering available.  Saturday morning. I had an open two hour window in my schedule.  I met a friend for breakfast, but then my team was meeting two hours later to walk over to our inspiration lunch.  I decided to spend some time at the expo getting some pampering.  First, I want to the Neutorgena lounge.   They were doing free make overs!  I waited for about 45 minutes, but it was so worth it.  My consultant was so helpful and I love the job she did on my face.  After the makeover, I had my picture taken and got lots of little goodies to take home.  I got a little black draw string baggie of lip gloss, moisturizer, and sunblock, plus a full size sunblock and wash wash.  How cool is that!

After getting my makeup did
After getting my makeup done, I stopped by the Paul Mitchell both.  They had cosmetology students giving out free hair styling.  I got a really pretty braid done in my hair.  It was like a halo, circling around my head.  My hope was that it would stay in for the race.  I had never done anything like this before--gotten a makeover.  I really enjoyed it!  Thanks so much to the organizers of NWM and the respective brands for doing this for participants.

Thanks Neutrogena! 
This was by far the best, most fun race expo I had ever been to.  It was all about having fun and letting go.  It was about relaxing and celebrating.  I can't wait to experience the NWM race expo in DC.  I hope it can live up to the expo in SF!

A dream is a wish...

--Amy


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your experience at the Nike Expotique. I too was wondering if DC would match what I've read about the SF Expotique.

    I am so looking forward to the inaugural Nike Half Marathon in DC :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so excited for the Nike Expotique next week! If you look at the sponser list, Neutorgena is not a sponser--but Bare Essentials is!!! I love BE. I am hoping for some BE swag!

      Delete