Friday, October 5, 2012

Trying New Things

I have been reading a lot lately about how important cross training is.  Over the summer, I sort of fell off the wagon when it came to cross training.  Since my daughter started school and I had some free time a few morning a week, I decided I was going back to spin class!

For the past few years, I have taken the Monday/Wednesday spin call with Mary.  Mary is so fun and energetic.  She plays the newest, up to the second music.  We were spinning to "Call me Maybe" in March--way before the spoofing thing got big.  I would love to get back into the Monday/Wednesday spin classes, but my daughter goes to school on Tuesday and Wednesday.  Mary does not have a Tuesday morning class.  What to do?

I looked at the class schedule at my gym.  Another instructor, Lori, teaches a Tuesday morning spin class.  Since I have the time, i figured I would give it a try.  The class with Lori is less attended than Mary's class.  The classes are different, but so far I am liking the difference.  Lori does not play the same kind of music at Mary, but still like it.  In Lori's class, we listen to more laid back music, but it is still fun and entertaining.  My favorite so far has been the Grease soundtrack.

In Lori's class, we do something called Tabata. It is a type of high intensity interval training.  This stuff is intense!  Lori told us we burn 50 calories in a 4 minute cycle and that our metabolism stays higher for the rest of the day.  I'll take it!  The workout is tough, but it feels great.  For me, I am hoping Tabata and its anaerobic workout training will help my running.  I don't think I have been doing it long enough to see progress yet, but I hope it trains my lungs to work hard and longer. I am enjoying my two different spin classes.  The two different instructors and their different styles keeps me from getting bored.

What have you done lately to switch up your workout?  

A dream is a wish...

--Amy



No comments:

Post a Comment