Sunday, October 7, 2012

York College Fall Fest 5k

Yesterday morning I did the 5k at York College of Pennsylvania.  I graduated from YCP in 2007 with a BS in accounting.  This event was a special on to me because of how far I was come since the last time I was on campus.  Back when I was a student, walking from west campus to main campus was the only daily exercise I ever got.  The thought of running--for fun--was laughable to the person I was back then.  Since then, I have adopted a healthier life style, lost over 50 pounds, and become a runner.  Now a 5k is an easy run and for fun, I run half marathons.

When the alumni association announced the race, I knew I had to do it. My sister and her boy friend, Dean, did the race with me.  My dad and my daughter came alone to cheer us on.  Since this was a inaugural event, there was only about 250 runners.  The event was very well organized. The school mascot, the Spartan, was walking around for fun and photo ops.  My daughter was not a fan!  She was scared so we did not get any pictures with the Spartan.

The race started and ended at the brand new athlete center's track.  After one lap, we run out and back on a trail around campus.  One more lap around the track, and the race was over.  All runners got a t-shirt, a back pack, and a medal!  Yes, a medal for a 5k.  This medal will always be special to me. After the race, the alumni associate through a small breakfast.  There was orange juice, granola bars, fruit and pastries.  My family and I hung out and watched the awards ceremony.  Overall, it was a great race.  I can't wait to do it again next year!

A dream is a wish...

--Amy


2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the race and your accomplishments since your graduation from York College!

    ReplyDelete