Monday, October 1, 2012

Official Training Begins

Ok Princesses--It's time!  Our official training plan begins tomorrow!

I am a big believer in the Jeff Galloway run/walk/run plan.  If it were not for this plan, I could never have completed a half marathon.  When I started running a year and a half ago, I could not run more than one minute straight.  While I can run longer than that now, there is no way I could ever run an entire half marathon.  Honestly, I am not sure I would want to.  What I love most about the run/walk/run is that I don't get tired or get that taxed lung feeling.  I can run/walk/run for the entire half marathon and feel great at the finish.  I have seen people who run the entire half that are tired and sore after.  After a half marathon, I feel great!  I can walk around the Disney parks and celebrate another accomplishment.

What intervals should you do?  My answer would be the one that feels best to you.  For a very long time, I did a one minute walk then a one minute run.  This is what I did for the 2012 Disney Princess Half Marathon.  Lately, I have been trying longer runs with a one minute walk.  I am doing this in hopes of getting a faster half marathon time.  I will report, mostly it is not working.  While I try running two, three, or four minutes with a one minute walk, my time is not that much better.  I am guessing it is because my three minute run is slower than my one minute run to breath easier and get less tired, and my one minute walk is slower because I am recovering from a longer run.  My average is a 12-13 minute per mile time no matter what interval ratio I use.

Jeff Galloway teaches that it is best to use shorter intervals.  I had the privileged to meet him at this past Disney Princess Half Marathon.  I was asking him about getting faster.  He suggested that I use a 15 second walk with a 45 second run method.  He told me this is what he and his wife often run.  I tried it a few times and it felt strange to me--to much stopping and starting.  But I really do see the genius in it.  Such frequent breaks keeps your body and lungs from getting fatigued.

Here is a link to the Galloway training plans on the runDisney site. This year, I am going to follow the time improvement plan.  Last year I followed the beginner plan and was very happy with it.  I will spend these next five months experimenting with run/walk ratios and find what works best for me.  Good luck with your training.  See you at the finish line!

Do you plan to follow the Jeff Galloway run/walk/run plan for you next half marathon?

A dream is a wish...

--Amy

8 comments:

  1. try 1:30/1 It will give you a little longer run time that you can still do at a faster pace but not fatigue you too much. Or 1:30/45 sec if you want to walk a little less.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh would love to do the disney princess half maybe someday I can put it on a bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I set my intervals to 1:15 / 1:00 to see how it would go & it was going well till I got a stitch in my side. Can't wait to be "officially" a Princess in training!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so inspiring Amy! I started training a few months ago but "fell off the wagon" due to school starting/new routine and adjustment to that new routine. How long did you train prior to the PHM last year? I am following the training provided by Jeff Galloway as well. It seems to work better than any other plan I have tried. I love your blog and have been reading it for quite some time. Way to go!!!! Amanda- Michigan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda! I started running in January 2011, so about 20 months no, about 13-14 months before Princess. Find me on Facebook--keep me posted on how your training is going!

      Delete
    2. I sure will Amy! Thank you for your response. We're all in this together right?!?!?

      Delete
  5. I can't wait to start! I do a 1:30/1:00 or a 1:00/1:00 and they seem to work well for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. like you, i have set my own pacing for walk/run. I typically walk for 2min, roughly, and run for about 6-7. I set it up with my music. I will run for two straight songs, unless i absolutley need a break, then i walk for part of another song then run again. I find that as long as I can breathe without huffing and puffing while running I am safe. And I have noticed my pace getting faster as I continue to train, getting to around 13-13:30min pace.

    ReplyDelete