Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Practice Races

Last year at this time, I was preparing for my first official race.  A few seasoned runners suggested that I enter some local events to get the feel for racing before my main event--the 2012 Disney Princess Half Marathon.

I was terrified!  What should I wear?  What should I eat?  How early should I get there?  What exactly is this "bag check" thing?  These were some things running through my head.  As you know, I did great.  The race was a blast.   After just one race, I was hooked.  Doing the Baltimore Women's Classic last year was great practice.  I felt so comfortable at my first race that I have done so many local races that I have lost count.

I am so thankful for the advice that I got to run some local races before my goal event.  It made me so much less nervous.   It was so nice to figure out what worked for me long before my goal event.  I got to the Disney Princess Half still feeling very nervous, but feeling comfortable in the race environment and feeling like all the pre-race stuff was routine for me.  I can't wait for Sunday to run in the Baltimore Women's Classic again. 

Did you have a practice race?  Did it make you feel better about your goal race?

A dream is a wish...

--Amy


Don't forget to enter my HUGE raffle to benefit the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society!  SparkleSkirts, Balancing Act top, SPIbelt, Nuun and so much more!  Only $5 to enter.

2 comments:

  1. A practice race is definitely a good idea. We use that in swimming a lot by having little dual meets and for younger meets we put on what looks like a full swim meet, but it's just not sanctioned. That way the kids get used to everything and the coaches get feedback from officials on what the kids need to work on.

    Coming from a competitive swimming and triathlon background, I didn't do a small race before my first Disneyland Half, but I definitely see the advantages in it. Since then I've done a few small 5ks, but usually in support of some of my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the small 5k's too. They are so much fun because you are not really tired when you are done. Are you doing DL again this year?

    ReplyDelete