Tuesday, December 4, 2012

First Run Back

I have not run for over three weeks!  This flu really got me good.  I had never been sick like this until these past three weeks.  My doctor called it viral bronchitis and said there is a really nasty strain of it going around now.  Then she told me it could last up to four weeks.  I thought, no way--I'm tough--it will have me down a few days tops.  Boy was I wrong!  This lower respiratory infection really kicked my butt!

Breathing has always been my biggest weakness in running.  When I would need to stop, it was not because I was tired, it was because I was out of breath.  With this infection, I could barely walk up the stairs without being out of breath there was no way I could run.  I even missed the Turkey Trot.  I have been terrified that I would lose everything I have worked hard to build in the past two years.  This is by far the biggest running break I have had since I started running.  I have come to far to lose it all now.

This morning was my first run since the runDisney Wine and Dine on November 9th.  I ran on the treadmill at the gym.  I did 3/1 intervals.  It was hard, but I did it!  I ran for 30 minutes and got 2.3 miles.  This was just over a thirteen minute mile.  That's certainly not my best, but its not as bad as I thought it would be.  This was a great place to pick up my training after being sick.  I am really looking forward to the Tinkerbell Half in seven weeks and the Princess Half in eleven weeks.  Time to start running some long runs!

A dream is a wish...

--Amy

6 comments:

  1. Urgh - sorry to hear you've been ill, it's sounds so nasty. Glad to hear your better again and back to running! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that you are feeling better! Great job on your first run back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you're feeling better! Can't wait for the Princess Marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you continue to get better! My wife has the same problem with breathing while running...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you're feeling better! Great job getting back to it!

    ReplyDelete